Friday, June 13, 2008

Nagtagumpay! Success!










Tanong: Ano uminom ako Ricky?
Sagot: Ginebra San Miguel, poor man's Gin.


Question: Ricky, what did I drink?
Answer: San Miguel Gin, poor man's Gin.
4 shots of 70% alcohol as a small celebration or our successful installation of the vegetable oil system at Gammad Auto Shop. A gift from the team of mechanics. Yes, I’m still buzzed and being that this is a rare occasion, making the most of it. Writing.

We were supposed to have the undivided attention and assistance of one mechanic- Noli, but instead we had a team of 6 motivated, curious, and talented mechanics learning how to install the system in Ricky’s vehicle. It was a train the trainer event that wildly exceeded my expectations. We were done in 5 hours from our arrival and very informal viewing of the very informal briefing videos I made with my small digital camera.
After trying it out for a while we'll have a press conference about the project.
Shoe Mart (aka SM) , a huge department store here is interested in the converting a vehicle also. That's cool!
In these photos you can see the finished product with Ricky explaining the system to neighbors. It's exciting to see the excitement spread.

I’m at the Pusod office in Lipa City, Philippines. I first met these folks in 2001 at the Land, Air , Water Environmental Conference in Eugene, OR. Pusod means belly button in Tagalog. It is both the root of origin and also the point of nourishment. It is an environmental newspaper. They report on local environmental and social issues. Today, there is a buzz in the office. Yes, another one besides my own and I hear them talking in Tagalog about the relative cost of using waste vegetable oil or buying normal diesel. It’s a beautiful thing even that I understand them. Taglish helps also.

Now the question I know someone is dying to ask and that I’ve been asking myself and answering to the reporters today are various versions of “will this make a difference?” Yes, I say, because it will get invoke people’s curiosity about different possibilities and that is a powerful thing. There are other ways to do things and that is clearly obvious when doing something so different- that smells so much better also. You hardly notice the exhaust compared to the persistent flavor of sulfur that normally emanates from diesels trapped in the realm of dinosaurs and brimstone..aka sulfur emissions from a dirty fuel/by product of regular diesel. It's true that the supply of waste vegetable oil is limited and not everyone can use it, but if more drivers did, things would greatly improve. I learned from Ipat (with Pusod) last night that there is a market for people filtering and reselling the waste oil and using it again for cooking. That oil contains more carcinogens and shifting the market will keep people from getting sick from it. Also, much of the waste oil gets into into waterways from the sewer systems. If instead they used it for a different purpose as a cleaner fuel, there would be less contamination of these areas. I can't wait to see what else ripples from this.

Later on- at 5am here (I’m still adjusting to the time)
I also had the best Bibinka ever (so far). My cell phone shouldn’t be unlocked and used here.
I’m going to buy a used one here….

Sige na,
(keep on)
Jason

4 comments:

dak said...

Hi Jason, Congratulations! That's so excellent that you got to train and inspire so many talented mechanics, and bring useful DIY technology to the Philippines. So, from the pictures I see a heated fuel filter and a 6-port selector. I would guess there's a veggie tank in the back and "Hose on Hose" fuel lines? Any other modifications?
Must be nice and simple in that warm climate.
Nice vehicles too. I love the little extended cab diesel Mitsubishi. Wish we had those here!
Thanks
Dakotah

J said...

Hi Dakotah,

Yes, there is a heated fuel filter and 6 port valve. I just read on the internet that the Polock 6 port valve(the one I'm using in my car also) doesn't last very long using hot preheated vegetable oil. We'll probably look for a back up for 6 port valve here. For Jeepneys I found some brass manual 3 way valves online. Hopefully I can find them here at a marine store. My car has been fine so far with 2 years and 30K miles with both a Vormaxx filter and Hotfox in the tank plus hose on hose passive heating between both.

No hose on hose, or hose in hose system, but I want to do that on the next one. 2 tanks, aluminum hose inside of heater hose going to the manual fuel bulb/pump to a standard diesel filter/water separator going to the switching valve and then to the injection pump.

We are looking at using parts here possibly some salvage parts and doing everthing including labor for about $600 for a 2 tank system. If we use a 1 tank system with electrical resistance heating on the injection lines or an electric in-line heater on the vegetable fuel line then we are looking at about $100 plus labor.

Thanks for stopping by!

Jason

Anonymous said...

Brother, I cried looking at these pictures. You talking to young and old mechanics. Their obvious interest and attention to what you are doing. You in your body, teaching your passion with all the skills and knowledge that you've accumulated all these years. That, coupled with your ever growing commitment to your extended Filipino family and liberation. Blows my heart wide open. You are such an inspiration! Go Brother Go!

Can't wait to read the rest. Much love, Tibor

Unknown said...

Hey sweet J,

Great work habibi. ! Really inspirational. My heart and mind is with you. Remember, it sometimes happens that strong-ass, kick-ass, arabic pilipino world-changing men take a break and relax! Lovin you, Steph