Saturday, June 23, 2007

Onward to the US Social Forum


A couple of days ago I decided to extend my trip and try to make it to the US Social Forum in Atlanta , GA (6/27/07 - 7/1/07). The question I think that we need to keep asking ourselves is "What would we like to see?" in the future for ourselves, for others and expanding to include more and more. We are going to have to deal with the consistent assaults on ours and others humanity that our present economic and class situation inflicts. That is the world we have inherited and created so far. However, it's easy to forget to visualize our direction and or the questions to ask just to start to visualize our direction with so much going on. It's hard to reclaim our ability to dream amidst, the chaos and violence of this world. I do take consolation in that as humans we've figured out a great deal so far and we can go much further in our evolution. There is a reality out there and no amount of denial will keep it from being there for a million tomorrow either just outside our door, in the room or inside of our heads. That is until we deal with it. A little at a time and with time to recharge and have great lives in the process. In the Philippines there were 81 documented revolutions in 323 years against Spanish colonization. Those folks were prepared to fight for something bigger than themselves that might never see the resolution of. If you are facing that I think you develop long range expectations, patience and endurance to see something through as much as you can in your own lifetime.

So, I'm headed to Atlanta with that question in my mind. I'm joining a Playback Theatre delegation from New Orleans, Asheville, NC with folks from the Bay Area and Canada also. We'll improvisationally reflect back the stories that we hear at the Forum and give a training workshop there.

Here's a picture our Pinoy (Filipino) Playback Theatre, my troupe/ project in San Francisco.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jas!
What a great trip it seems you are on. I like your blog a lot. I am about to post my last entry to mine. At least to the one I started for the trip to the Philippines. I look forward to learning more about your trip and talking to you soon. I am off to La Almolda! Love, Sandra