Saturday, June 23, 2007

Bike Projects

I'm volunteering with 2 Bike Projects here. One is the Rusted Up Beyond All Recognition Bikes
RUBARB bike project. A part of the Common Ground Collective.
Below is an earn a bike participant/ young bike mechanic.


This is the RUBARB Building.













Below are their rules. I like the one about cursing.




















I''ve also been volunteering with Plan B, a community bike shop here where adults learn bike mechanics and can come away with a new bike that they learned to assemble with help from volunteer staff for an average cost of $35.00.
One of my highlights from yesterday was working with 2 Egyptian exchange students, Aman and Amad who were all smiles after making substantial progress on their project bikes. I'll see them again on Saturday and hopefully they'll be able to finish their bikes and teach me another Arabic word. "Masalam!" (Hi and Bye)





Donated bikes from Chicago being unloaded.





Part of the inventory of bikes waiting to be built up.








Plan B is next door to the Anarchist Book Library where someone there had discovered the best stapler for social change.

No comments: